I created two Greenstone Digital Libraries for the MLIS Digital Libraries course. Sandy’s eBook Shelf is a small collection of eBooks and Sandy’s Greenstone Wellington County Pioneers is a database that houses content on early settlers to Wellington County.
Greenstone is open-source software that allows you to build and distribute a digital library collection. You can publish it on the Internet or on a CD. Additional information about Greenstone software can be found at http://www.greenstone.org/ .
Launching My Greenstone Digital Libraries
- My digital libraries can be found at http://moz.execulink.net/~jns/GreenStoneDigitalLibraries/
- To view these collections, copy the contents of this folder to a DVD
- On the DVD, click on server.exe (Note: No files will be installed on your computer however; the file llssite.cfg will be created on the DVD. This file contains your site information and must be removed before using this DVD on another computer.)
- Click on the Enter Library button to start a browser
- Select the banner image for the collection you wish to access
- To switch between digital libraries, click on the Greenstone Home button and select the banner image for the other collection
Note: Each time you launch Sandy’s Greenstone eBook digital library, you will need to set a preference to allow the eBooks be properly displayed. To set this preference, complete the following steps:
- After the collection is launched in the browser, click on the Options button
- Under the Presentation preferences, select on from the drop-down list beside ‘Book viewer mode’
- Click on the Titles or Search button to view the list of eBook.
- From the list of ebooks, click on one of the eBook image or the ‘Read the Book’ link. The ebook will now be displayed. A known error message, ‘Error loading file’, is generated for the front cover of the selected ebook. However, all subsequent pages are displayed correctly.